PREPARATION: 15 MINUTES
COOKING: 35 MINUTES
4 tbsp olive oil
250g potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 onion or 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 red pepper, de-seeded and cut into thin strips
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan assisted oven/gas mark 4. Line the base of a 20cm square, shallow ovenproof dish or tin with baking paper. Heat the oil in a small non-stick frying pan. Add the potato cubes and sprinkle with salt. Fry gently, turning regularly for 10-15 minutes until golden and crispy (see tip). Remove with a draining spoon and set aside on kitchen paper.
- Remove 1 tbsp of the remaining oil from the pan and add it to the dish or tin. Remove another 1 tbsp and discard. You should have approx 1 tbsp of oil now left in the pan.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until softened. Add the red pepper strips and cook for a further 3 minutes until just beginning to soften. Season well with freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the base-lined tin in the oven for 1 minute to heat up the oil. Remove from the oven and straight away, add the onions, peppers, potatoes and eggs.
- Return to the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until the eggs have set. Cool in the tin then turn out and cut into squares or rectangles to serve.
- If preferred, par boil the potatoes instead of frying until just soft and reduce the oil to 2 tbsp.
- This dish will transport well for picnics and packed lunches. If liked, make the day before and chill. Wrap in greaseproof paper and foil and transport in a cool bag/box kept chilled with frozen ice-packs.