Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking: 25 mins
4 large egg whites
225g caster sugar
30g Ratafias, finely crushed
300ml double cream
150g mixed summer berries such as raspberries, blueberries and blackberries plus extra for serving
2-3 tbsp dulce de leche or toffee sauce
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140 Fan/Gas Mark 3. Line the base and sides of a 33 x 23cm swiss roll tin with baking paper, sticking to the tin with a little oil or butter. The paper should sit approx. 3 cm above the edge of the tin.
- Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl until they are stiff and foamy. Gradually (approx. 2 tbsp at a time) whisk in the sugar until the mixture is thick, glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Fold in the crushed Ratafias then spoon mixture into the lined tin and gently level the surface with a round bladed knife. Bake for 25 mins until the outside is firm to the touch.
- Cover the meringue with a clean sheet of baking paper and invert onto the paper and on to a damp tea towel on the work surface. Peel away lining paper but leave it covering the meringue whilst it cools. Leave for approx. 25 mins until completely cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks. Spread over the cold meringue and scatter with one third of the berries. Using the base paper to guide you, roll up the meringue from the width end. Drizzle with the toffee sauce and decorate with the remaining berries before serving.
Ratafias are mini Amaretti and so can be substituted for the full size Doria product.
Our traditional methods
Throughout the winding streets and the enchanting stone steps carved into the hillsides, the bakers get to work as the sun rises. This is rural Italy, and this is where our traditional methods originate.
Our time honoured natural leavening process requires skill, patience and integrity. Folding and rolling the dough creates many fine layers that enrich its flavour and texture. The ancient slow-rise sourdough recipe we use is delicately nurtured with water and flour over 3 days and nights to produce delicious dough that needs no additives or preservatives. And our authentic way of baking with fire and air creates a golden crisp crunch. Whilst we cook with happiness in our hearts, we take our ingredients very seriously, sourcing only the best from trusted suppliers and producers across the land.