Preparation: 20 mins plus cooling
Cooking: 30 mins
250g Doria Amaretti, finely crushed
3 tbsp cornflour
175g golden caster sugar
5 large eggs
225ml lemon juice (approx 5 lemons) and the finely grated rind of 1 large lemon
175ml double cream
Icing sugar to dust and redcurrants to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan/Gas 4. Base-line a loose-based 20cm square tin.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and mix with the crushed Amaretti. Spoon into the lined tin and level with the back of a spoon. Bake for 8-10 minutes then remove and cool.
- Place the cornflour in a bowl and whisk in the caster sugar then the eggs, lemon juice and rind and then the cream. Pour over the Amaretti base and bake for 30 minutes or until just set.
- Cool in the tin for 15 minutes then remove and leave until cold.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar and decorate with redcurrants.
Our traditional methods
Throughout the winding streets and the enchanting stone steps carved into the hillsides, the bakers get to work as the sun rises. This is rural Italy, and this is where our traditional methods originate.
Our time honoured natural leavening process requires skill, patience and integrity. Folding and rolling the dough creates many fine layers that enrich its flavour and texture. The ancient slow-rise sourdough recipe we use is delicately nurtured with water and flour over 3 days and nights to produce delicious dough that needs no additives or preservatives. And our authentic way of baking with fire and air creates a golden crisp crunch. Whilst we cook with happiness in our hearts, we take our ingredients very seriously, sourcing only the best from trusted suppliers and producers across the land.