230g Dark chocolate
170g Golden caster sugar
50g Dark brown sugar
50ml Amaretto liqueur
3 tbsp. Cocoa powder
3 Medium eggs
130g Plain flour
¼ tsp Baking powder
110g Doria Ratafias or Amaretti biscuits
20cm square cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius
- Grease and line your cake tin with parchment paper. Break up the chocolate into smaller pieces and place in a large heat proof bowl with the butter. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base doesn’t touch the water, stir until both are melted and combined.
- Gradually whisk in the Amaretto liqueur and both sugars until combined. Whisk in the eggs one at a time until you have a smooth batter.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Fold the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture, combining until smooth. Next fold in ¾ of the Doria Amaretti or Ratafias biscuits, if you are using Amaretti break them up a little until you have smaller pieces.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin, spreading the mixture out evenly. Scatter over the remaining biscuits and place in the middle shelf of your oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through in the middle. Leave to cool for a while then cut into 16 squares. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Our traditional methods
Throughout the winding streets and the enchanting stone steps carved into the hillsides, the bakers get to work as the sun rises. This is rural Italy, and this is where our traditional methods originate.
Our time honoured natural leavening process requires skill, patience and integrity. Folding and rolling the dough creates many fine layers that enrich its flavour and texture. The ancient slow-rise sourdough recipe we use is delicately nurtured with water and flour over 3 days and nights to produce delicious dough that needs no additives or preservatives. And our authentic way of baking with fire and air creates a golden crisp crunch. Whilst we cook with happiness in our hearts, we take our ingredients very seriously, sourcing only the best from trusted suppliers and producers across the land.